Part-time jobs

From Eindhoven Student Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Finding part-time jobs in Eindhoven can be challenging, especially if you do not speak Dutch. Most restaurants, cafes etc. will require you to speak Dutch, but it is possible to find places that do not; though Dutch language skills will always be a plus. Among others, Hubble and both SPAR supermarkets on Campus, employ non-Dutch speakers.

Thankfully, the TU/e provides many opportunities for employment to non-Dutch speakers, and also provides resources for finding employment at outside parties.

Student Assistantship

A student assistant at the TU/e is a term used for a wide variety of jobs. You can apply to be a student assistant for a course you have previously passed, helping the professor with grading or tutoring. This usually requires you to have a high (7+ depending on the course) grade from the course, but often this requirement is loosened if many assistants are required. The university will often email you about open positions in courses you have passed, but it is a good idea to speak to the professor of a course if you are interested in an assistantship.

More information on the TU/e website.

External Companies

Euflex is the employment agency of the TU/e. They provide support for applying for work at outside companies, as well as manage payroll and other employment services at the TU/e. Their website has information on employment possibilities, both full and part time, and before and after receiving your degree. They also provide a service known as Jobteaser, which is a job portal specifically for the TU/e, and a very useful resource.

More information at Euflex's website.


To be able to have a part-time job as a student in the Netherlands, there are certain conditions you have to meet. Every student is required to:

Students from the EU/EEA and Switzerland can work without restrictions. Other students may work for a maximum of either 16 hours per week, or full-time for the entire months of June, July and August. Note that for these students, the employer must apply for a work permit on your behalf. This may prove to be a significant barrier to entry.

When working for 16 hours a week, you meet one of the conditions to be entitled to student finance from DUO.

More information on the IND website.